Friday, September 14, 2012

Oh, Say Does That Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave

So, on my first day here we had everyone at the transfer station and we all sang "The Star-Spangled Banner." You've never heard it sung so loudly or with so much vigor as it was sung that day. The missionaries are so proud to be American, because America is amazing. I love Canada, but this place is crazy in ways that it doesn't even understand.

That said, there are a number of things that I love about it. First, EVERYONE is just sooooooooo friendly. I haven't had any doors slammed in my face, everyone will listen to what you have to say before they say, "No." And sometimes they say, "Yes." Love that. Absolutely love that.

Today is weekly planning, which takes around 4 to 6 hours depending on how focused we can be. Believe it or not, I am usually the focused one. What? I know. Madness. Canada does that to people.

Elder Church didn't do a survey that they asked us to do because his computer wasn't working on Monday, so they told us to come back and have him take it. In the meantime, I need to tell you that I don't have p day on Monday because I am going to the temple next Saturday. Darn. (:D I LOVE the temple!)

I've been trying to stay away from using misisonary lingo such as: Frikin', flip, fetch, damage, etc. Because it drives me crazy. Can't anyone be a little more creative? Or just calm down. "NOBODY MOVE! I've dropped me brains..."

So, in the evening, we play a year of RISK after journal writing and prep for bed. (We did a game of chess that lasted the first two weeks. I dominated. Hard core.) Elder Park is the new world leader. We have been addressing him promptly, "Elder World Leader," "Elder World Magistrate," "Elder Dictator," "Elder Owns-everything-except-Austrailia-and-Asia-because-Elder-Hill-never-surrenders," "Elder why-did-you-trap-all-the-black-people-on-the-moon-without-a-way-home." (It's RISK 2210 A.D. the only one we could get our hands on...) Elder Church just about had a meltdown when he lost (the game only lasts 5 years instead of going for complete domination). I almost told him to calm down, but he cut me off and said "It's not just a game!" Yeah, we're not playing that again.....

In fact, during comp inventory we decided we weren't going to play board games except on P-Day. A wise decision, I think, because I could use an extra hour of study. And letter writing. And journal writing.

In companionship study the other day, we went over chapter 2 in PMG which covers "Effective Study." It talks about how studying with the spirit helps to give us "solace.... [and] strength to endure to the end." You know those times when you have just had the most awful day of your life, ever?  So, you get home and just sit down next to someone and don't move for like an hour? Or, if you're a girl you cry. Or if you're a guy you cry... sometimes, but only if you're a baby like me.... (haven't cried in front of my companions, not gonna happen). Those situations? Basically, when you need someone most, the Savior is that shoulder to cry on, the person to sit and stare into nothing with, the person who will go for a drive with you, or help you get rid of your stress. How do you get with Him? Study. Invite the spirit. Bring Him into your heart and you will be given the strength you need.

Challenge: Read Chapter 2 of PMG and write down what you can do to change how you study.

I love you. Have a good next 10 days

No comments:

Post a Comment