Friday, September 21, 2012

Elder Hill -- 20 September 2012

Dear Sister Hill,

Your son just left my home moments ago.  He is not aware as to the reason why I asked him for your email address.  I asked him discreetly as a group were leaving my home this evening.  I want to write to you and tell you what an amazing Elder you and your husband raised.  He testifies with the Spirit and it is so very evident to me that he is filled with the Spirit when he speaks.  He has come to my home a few times now.  Each time he has said something directly to me that Heavenly Father wants me to hear.  Elder Hill is unaware of the extent of it.  I told him last visit but I really do not think he understands the power in which I speak of it.

Without the thesis version, may I say, my life is riddled with unusual trials.  I truly am blessed to know that I can turn to my Heavenly Father and know He is listening.  However, on occasion, such as today, my heart becomes burdened to the point of almost a paralyzing feeling inside.  Those very few who are aware, including my Bishop and Stake President agree that the heaviness of such would be felt by anyone who would be asked to walk in these shoes of mine.  My husband felt the weight upon me this evening to the point he said he thought it would be appropriate to cancel our visit with our home teachers and the Elders allowing me the evening to be alone.  I thought I would like to be alone but when he said it out loud, I told him that we must allow the evening to unfold as planned but to expect that after all have left, that I will likely take some time away or at least be alone to grieve… to contemplate… to cry… to try and find peace.

Our home teachers ended up visiting the whole time the Elders were here leaving no time for us to receive the Elder’s message.  When it was 8:55 PM and time for the Elders to leave, I asked if one of them had a scripture they could share with us before we closed our visit with prayer.  Elder Hill smiled and readily said that he had a scripture that comes with a short story. 

He told us of the incident when he was young and his friend was injured on the mountain.  He shared how scary the event was for him and how he and his sister then got lost.  He told us that he was taught as a child to kneel and pray when he needed help.  He testified that it was then that he gained his testimony of prayer and how Heavenly Father helped them find their way back to everyone.  He then read a scripture that beautifully tied in with his story about miracles.  He bore testimony that he knew our God is a God of miracles.  What he didn’t know is that I need a miracle… and a big one.  What he didn’t know is that I feel so sad that I have not asked for one.  What he didn’t know is that all my life I am an ensign of countless miracles, and I dare say that there could not be many that will surpass me in being the recipient of tender mercies and miracles.  What he didn’t know is that Heavenly Father wanted to remind me of that this very evening.  What he didn’t know is that I said to my husband, “No, let the evening unfold as planned… for all I know, Heavenly Father may have a message to me that will come through them.”

Thank you for sending your son on his mission.  It is not just those who have not heard the message of the Gospel that are in need.  Strengthening the Saints is one of the great aspects of our Savior’s plan as well, and you should sleep peacefully at night knowing that your son is busily engaged in His cause.

Sister M.

1 comment:

  1. That was a big testimony strengthening day for all of us. I love him, I'm glad the people up there get to see his spirit too.

    ReplyDelete