Monday, October 28, 2013

The Hardest Part about the Office -- 28 October 2013

Having this calling has helped me to learn so much about the mission, about our roles as mission leaders, and about how to help and uplift other people It has been all about other Elders and Sisters... whether that means correction, or just loving support, it is all about them. It's pretty incredible to consider how much I've grown recently to love the missionaries within this stewardship... it's unreal the feelings that I experience as I strive to serve them. Those are feelings that I've had as a district leader, and a zone leader, but it's incredible to feel it for literally HUNDREDS of people... what a huge blessing. If I feel this way, I can only begin to imagine how President N
must feel... or President Monson... or our Father in Heaven. So much love, absolute unconditional love... you just feel so ready to help and serve... willing to do anything. And there are dumb missionaries, don't get me wrong, but how can you help but love and support them? It's easy to see the best in someone that you desire to see succeed, especially when you, and they, are a part of the same God-sent work. I never feel I need to yell, or chastise, or make harsh remark, but any time correction is necessary, the Spirit always flows, and my love actually increases. (see D&C 121:34-46 for why that happens---it's pretty sweet)

But, aside from all the administrative tasks, and the correction, transfers, and all of those wonderful things that I am blessed to be a part of, there is something that happens in this calling which is really difficult to be a part of: Missionaries going home early. 

There's a lot that I could say... I could talk about how difficult a mission is, I might talk about the stress that we experience as missionaries, I should talk about the expectations that are set before us, or the age change, or the weaknesses that we carry, but I'm not worried about those things.... What is sad is taking a missionary to the airport, and having them in tears because they don't know what everyone else is going to think of them. 

As Elder Holland taught in his most recent general conference address, "Like a Broken Vessel," there are things that hit us and hurt us, that no measure of "bucking up" or "squaring shoulders" will truly solve. I fear when I hear people talking about missionaries who came home early, calling them "weak" or "not good enough" or "not worthy enough" saying, "If they would have just depended more on God, they would have been able to stay." 

Coming from a missionary who knows how it feels to be broken, lost, unworthy, imperfect, and kicking himself for not just being able to square his shoulders, trust God and get on with it.... an empty pit isn't filled by anything but pure love. My weaknesses are many... and almost every day at least for a moment or two I am reminded that I am not good enough... But it is the Love of God, of my companions, of my mission president, and of all of you, my friends, that has carried me. 

So, if you know someone who has come home early, in the mission or in life--- please love them. 
Whatever else you may or may not be able to provide, you can offer your prayers and you can give “love unfeigned.”8 “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; … [it] beareth all things, … hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth.”

This kind of love extends far beyond what we could possibly comprehend. We have friends in our lives who are ready to go home. Maybe from their mission or on a different scale, from school, work, friendships, marriages, or their faith. Now, when they think of giving up, giving in, and going home, they don't need people who are going to criticize them... they need someone who is willing to love them and stick with them, because when we do this, we really support them, love them, help them, give them what we have, they grow. They are filled with the pure love of Christ, and they grow. 

Broken minds can be healed just the way broken bones and broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind.

So, if you're someone who's struggling, please remember the following:


So how do you best respond when mental or emotional challenges confront you or those you love? Above all, never lose faith in your Father in Heaven, who loves you more than you can comprehend. As President Monson said to the Relief Society sisters so movingly last Saturday evening: “That love never changes. … It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve [it]. It is simply always there.”4 Never, ever doubt that, and never harden your heart. Faithfully pursue the time-tested devotional practices that bring the Spirit of the Lord into your life. Seek the counsel of those who hold keys for your spiritual well-being. Ask for and cherish priesthood blessings. Take the sacrament every week, and hold fast to the perfecting promises of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Believe in miracles. I have seen so many of them come when every other indication would say that hope was lost. Hope is never lost. If those miracles do not come soon or fully or seemingly at all, remember the Savior’s own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead.

I love you all so much. And I hope you know that I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Maybe it will  take up a lot more than "bucking up" for you or for me, but no matter what it takes, Jesus Christ and our Father in Heaven can and will help us. Do not give up. Do not give in. Trust Him. He is real. He is your Father. You are not alone. He will accept you no matter what. We had this thought earlier this week that I would like to share with you: "Stop worrying about where you are, or even where you've been, or what you will be, just focus on serving the Lord. We shouldn't feel guilty or pained because we aren't perfect, we shouldn't feel like we can never stand before God and be able to withstand Him, we should always feel like He LOVES US and He wants us to succeed, and HE DOESN'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR YOU TO GET THERE. He will help you if you are willing. He loves you, and He will do what it takes to get you there, stop worrying, He will take care of you---that is hope. That is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repent  daily, but trust always that He will help you." 

Don't let your imperfections get you down. Got doesn't care how long you are imperfect for, He will accept and love you as long as you are honestly striving to do His will. And remember, what He requires is never more than you are willing to do. 

I love you I love you I love you.

Keep running, keep pushing, keep striving. Go ahead and square your shoulders. Trust that it will be okay, you will get through it, and if you don't, I'm still here. So will the Savior be. 

Rock on. Peace, Love, and Temple Marriage, in that order.


Elder Taylor J. Hill

It's snowing and I have a sweater!!

1 comment: