Monday, October 14, 2013

The Pearls of Great Price: Small Experiences that I Hope You'll Appreciate -- 12 October 2013

Over the past while, my studies have been very limited, but I've come across scriptures that have come to mean an awful lot to me. I feel as though the Lord has been speaking to me through the scriptures and I hope you can feel and see as I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life. 

The first experience comes from Jacob chapter 5. As you know, Jacob 5 is probably the longest chapter of the Book of Mormon, and it is also one of my favorites, because it's all about the gathering of Israel (or, missionary work). Well, Jacob tells of a Lord and his servant trying to save an orchard (or vineyard) of olive trees. After working, toiling, starting over, failing, replanting, pruning, digging, and doing everything that they are able to do, the vineyard again fails (apostasy and dispensations [even personal apostasy... we all fall away, even though God is doing everything He can for us, while still respecting our agency and choice]) and it says :
41 And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard wept, and said unto the servant: aWhat could I have done more for my vineyard?

The first thing that stood out to me was that the Lord of the Vineyard wept. Can you imagine God weeping? Weeping for you? I suppose one might say, "Well, he's God, He has everything, He doesn't need me." Well, my friend, notice that the parable doesn't note that the Lord owns multiple vineyards, this vineyard is his everything. We are God's everything, he does need us, and He needs us because He loves us. So, when we break and fall, He weeps. He's heartbroken, because when He loses us, he loses everything. He loves us. 

It continues. His servant comes up to him and after a brief conversation where the Lord considers giving up, he says :  50 But, behold, the servant said unto the Lord of the vineyard: Spare it a little alonger51 And the Lord said: Yea, I will spare it a little longer

Number 2, God is all about second chances. And third chances, and fourth... and as many as we need to get it right, because He has a servant who has paid the price... who pleads on our behalf, who loves the vineyard, and who will not quit until we are saved. That is His nature. We are spared and given second chances as long as we are willing to undergo what it will take to grow. 

 62 Wherefore, let us go to and labor with our might this last time,for behold the end draweth nigh, and this is for the last time that Ishall aprune my vineyard.

"This last time..." Just a thought for a the missionaries out there... we only have one shot. This is it, the big finale, the work has been hastened, preparatory to the coming of Christ, and we have been called to prune the vineyard, and to gather Scattered Israel. The last time. The last go. One more shot. We must give it everything, every ounce that we have, because literally, this is the final dispensation of time... so we must share the Gospel. Here, now, this life. Don't be afraid to be counted amongst the servants called to labor. 

 72 And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them;and they did obey the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard in all things.

The Lord of the vineyard labored also with them. Check this sweet nugget out: D&C 38:7

 But behold, verily, verily, I say unto you that mine aeyes are upon you. I am in your bmidst and ye cannot csee me;

When you are on the Lord's errand, you are in the Lord's midst. He doesn't just plop us down onto the earth and leave us alone to figure it out, but He labors with us. He loves us. Why would he leave us alone? You are watched over... never alone. 

How beautiful is that?

Finally a brief thought on Consecration (it seems that these topics never end, and I'm sorry that this is so long) (Deuteronomy 11)

 13 ¶And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to alove theLord your God, and to bserve him with all your heart and with all your soul,
 14 That I will give you the arain of your land in his due season...
Consecration doesn't mean mindless obedience and following painfully commandments, He asks us to love him and serve him... that love of god will cause us to want to do it. Just like no man really wants to work, work becomes a pleasure when He does it for the love of his family for whom he provides. It means something to him, it becomes a small part of who He is. He can be happy, in the work, because He knows that the reason He's doing it is out of pure love. 

“When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power.” Ezra Taft Benson

We turn to God out of our love for Him.
I do love Him. I love my Savior Jesus Christ who did everything for me. This week I was trying to decide what I am going to do when I finally see my Savior, face to face---when it's time for my personal interview with Christ... I don't know that I'll be able to stand... speak... sing... I don't know, I'm almost sure I'll be on my knees, weeping because of His mercy... I will worship Him, and then I will stand, ready to do His work, and spread His love, and now allow His suffering for me to be in vain. All the way to the end. 

Just as I now stand, ready to do His work in the best way that I possibly can. 

I love you all.

Peace. Love. And Temple Marriage. In that order.


Elder Taylor J. Hill

1 comment:

  1. Taylor I don't even know if you read comments here or if it's really just for your mom (hi your mom!) but I have to tell you how much I loved this. So so beautiful. The people you're teaching are lucky to have you sharing this sweet testimony with them.

    Peace love and temple marriage,
    and all those things for you

    ReplyDelete