Monday, August 6, 2012

MTC email -- 6 August 2012

First of all, this is what I sent Briana.

Sister,
First of all, relax, Sister Hill :) My comp is like, why on earth is she freaking out?

Anyway, a lot of people told me what I should expect when I came. You should have seen me on the ride over... I was so nervous that I forgot how to breathe. The reality was finally setting in. All of a sudden I was in the MTC and since then I have not had a single minute to try to remember how to breathe. I even forgot about cars. Forgot. About. Cars. Then we did the temple walk, and I was like..... I forgot how beautiful the world was. The other elders in my district laughed and agreed. We hadn't seen a single car for 5 days. What?

Anyway, for me, the first 5 days flew by. My district hasn't had any conflicts, which is a total blessing. Mostly, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I love my comp, his name is Elder Mafile'O (like you would pronounce it in spanish, but it's Tongan).  He is from San Jose California and he is one of the nicest guys on earth. He is pretty relaxed, kinda like me, and he is a hard worker. He has a super strong testimony, and it makes me want to be better.

The Church is a seriously small world. For example, my companion is related to everyone here who has brown skin. Also, everyone has a relative or friend who has lived in Calgary. I had forgotten all about Canada until I was called there.

I don't know, it's been wonderful, that's for sure. I'm learning the lessons and I have lesson one down, and the baptisimal challenge... you know, I don't think anyone is going to be able to logic their way out of the Lord getting them baptised. No way, no how. ;)

My district is awesome. All elders, no sisters. I have Brother Starkie and Sister Christensen (they are both INCREDIBLE). I didn't expect so many Elder and Sisters here. They told us that we currently have the highest amount of missionaries EVER in the MTC -- 2450 missionaries. And also the most sisters ever. Crazy, right?

Sunday was pretty good, it wasn't my favorite day of the week, but it was good. I had A TON of meetings because I am the district leader. I can't even imagine being a Branch President, because I know a lot of people say that the district leaders here at the MTC don't have a lot of responsibility. I say those people are high. I am interviewing the Elders one-on-one every day for the next week, I am in charge of reminding them about what we need to study for the next day. Room inspections every morning, setting up devotionals, making sure everyone gets a seat at lunch with us, and I'm supposed to be an example of perfection. It's tough stuff, but I can handle it with the help of the Lord. He has definitely been in my life a lot.

I am so blessed to be able to laugh and have a good time all the time with my comp and the other Elders in my district. It has been a beautiful experience.

Well, I've been writing you for about 15 minutes, so I had better write Mom now. :D Anyway, I hope things are going well in North Vernon, and I know the Lord will put you where you can be the most useful on your next transfer.

I love you, Bri. Thanks for being a great example.

***

Anyway,

Life here at the MTC is incredible. Honestly, I have never been more scared in my life than when I entered the MTC. It is the best kept secret in the church, because I had no idea what was going to happen when they pushed me through those doors, however, God has blessed my life greatly since I've been here.

I have seen many friends here. Elder Madsen, Elder Fulton, Sister Scott, Elder Hogan, and lots of other people. I have made a lot of friends and I hope that that continues.

Please tell Chris that there is a letter on the way home that he needs to read, because it is all about day 1 in the MTC. It scared the heck out of me, but I got through, and actually have loved every single minute of it. The MTC has been such a huge blessing in my life and in the lives of the other Elders. All of a sudden, you walk in those doors and it doesn't matter any more who you were before you were set apart. It doesn't matter that you aren't perfect, it doesn't matter that you aren't rich, it doesn't matter that you aren't good at sports, video games, singing, or anything else. You're life now has a purpose to it which is accompanied by a determination that I have never felt before. I want so badly to be closer to my Heavely Father. He has been my rock and has helped me to feel His love.

I don't pass a single day without shedding a tear or two, and not for the regular reasons. Every day, I feel so overcome with love for my Savior, and gratitude for the love which He has shown me. There are times when I wish I could stand at the top of a tall wall, and at the top of my lungs, declare the gospel. I love my God.

I'm the district leader. I will tell you about an experience and then my 30 minutes are up.

Two days ago I was doing a role play with Elder Kimber (an Elder in my district) and he was acting really skittish and he wouldn't look in my eyes. He can be a little socially awkward and has really been struggling in the past few days. So, I stopped him and I asked him to bear his testimony to me. He did, and I broke into tears. I testified to him that I knew that God knew him. I testified of his spirit and of God's power to make the weak and simple confound the wise. I told him that I knew he had a testimony and that I loved him. He restarted the role play with a renewed confidence.

The church is true.
I love you so much, Mom.
See you in two.

No comments:

Post a Comment