Monday, August 13, 2012

Hey Momma, Week 2 -- 13 August 2012

Alright, you know those days that just start out great, are kinda really awful in the middle, and end up amazing? That has been every day this week.

Basically, this week started out with a really, REALLY harsh rebuking from my teacher about how I have been inhibiting the spirit in the lessons and the growth of my companion. Ouch. The wonderful thing about the refiner's fire is that it has taught me not only to be patient, but how to change quickly. There is this quote that goes a little something like, "True doctrine, understood, can change attitudes and behaviors faster than a study of behavior can change behavior."

Basically, there has been a TON of change this week. It has almost been a little bit ludicrous how quickly the Lord has been helping me----and the other Elders in the district----to grow. I have really switched up my teaching style. We have been leaving more room in our lesson plans for the spirit, and not necessarily something scripted; after all, we aren't here to read people the lessons--that's what the pamphlets are for--but we are here to "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." So, to sum it up, it was a very up and down week which has (hopefully) humbled me enough so the spirit can speak through me.

Things with Elder M. and I have been better since the rebuking (not that they weren't good before). I think he is glad that Brother S. said what he did. (Want to know something funny? Brother S. is from West Jordan and I actually know his little sister!) I am glad he said what he said.  Our lessons have been going so much better than before. We have been teaching an investigator by the name of Miguel.  He has a Catholic background and has been taught by 4 different sets of missionaries in the past, but no one has been able to get him to commit to baptism.  But on Friday, after a week of very rapid improvement (courtesy of Brother S., Elder M., and the Godhead) we had an amazing lesson with him which was definitely led by the spirit. He prayed and committed to reading the Book of Mormon. We have another appointment with him tomorrow, and it is going to be amazing. He will be baptized.

So, confession time: basically, I have been a little proud, because before I entered the MTC I didn't really understand how important baptism was. Faith is the first and most important step, but it is useless unless it leads us to baptism, the saving ordinance that will allow us entrance into the Celestial Kingdom. Unless we take the opportunity in this life (some people don't get the chance and get it in the next life) we cannot enter into the kingdom of God and be exalted on high. So, if we want anyone to go to the Celestial Kingdom, they MUST be baptized and uphold their covenants. We talked a lot about temple ordinances and what it means if we don't uphold those covenants.  Basically, I am terrified for anyone who doesn't uphold their covenants.  Basically, it would be.... awful.

Elder M. is kinda a bad influence. Occasionally he swears, which is hilarious, because he doesn't mean to and he gets this face on like, =O after he realizes that he did.  But it makes it hard not to curse occasionally just to joke. I haven't done it, and I don't plan to, but that isn't to say that I haven't been tempted.

There is this guy----Elder, oops--- in our district by the name of Elder L., who just HAS to be right. You think I'm bad? No. I'm not. Don't fight me on it. ;) Not compared to his guy. He debates scripture with us all the time, and he applies a lot of doctrine which can come from the natural man. He has a hard time expressing a little faith, and instead will search the scriptures endlessly to clarify what he has just read.  It makes it difficult to  operate in class, because he won't let us move on until we are able to answer his question, clarify his scripture, or explain why it DOESN'T mean what he thinks it means. I swear, if people would just apply the following doctrine to everything they read, there would never EVER be misinterpretation of scripture: "God loves you and He WANTS you to live with Him." Oh and, "Exact obedience will merit blessings from the Lord."

Also, tell people to actually read all the way through the Book of Mormon, because it is so hard to teach someone when they won't read the doctrine. It's right there. RIGHT THERE! Are Mormons Christians? I don't know, read the Book of Mormon and find out! Do Mormons have horns? I don't know, read the Book of Mormon and find out. 2 Nephi 25:26. Proverbs 3:5-6.

Speaking of 2 Nephi 25:26 yesterday, Elder M. and I had our accountability interview with Brother B. (the second counselor in our branch presidency). He had us do a role play with him, and he gave us the scenario and had us teach him right then and there. So, Elder M. and I turned to the exact same scripture (listed above) and NAILED that interview. It was beautiful. We needed to set up an appointment, but for only two weeks in the MTC, not bad.

There is this saying that goes a little something like, "In the MTC, weeks go like days, and days go like weeks." Basically, I spend 6 hours a day in class, and I can tell you that it only feels like 6 minutes. This has been the fastest 2 weeks of my life, filled with all kinds of adventures.

Please tell everyone that if they want to reach me in the MTC to just send me mail using DearElder.com cause it's free and it  is same day delivery. Also, I am not allowed to respond to emails from friends in the MTC.

Well, Momma, I love you soo soooo soooooooooo sooooooooooooo much. I got one of those shirts from the MTC bookstore "Stripling Warriors are Momma's Boys." I got it because I thought it was an effective way to bear testimony without saying anything.  It's true.  I'm no stripling warrior, and I'm not even humble.... I'm not even much. I feel a little like I put on a new face every day: a face of confidence because, in reality, I am so scared that I might let Heavenly Father down.... I just want to be His best servant. I want to show Him that I love Him and His children with all of my heart.... I feel so inadequate.... but I love Him and sometimes that is the only reason I can find to wake up in the morning. With His help, I can do this. I am scared, but I am so amazed by everything He has done for me.

I love my Father, Mom.

I love you.

Tell Dad and Landon and Ash that I love them, too, and that they should serve missions, because it will change their lives.

Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment