Thursday, August 23, 2012

Letter 21 August 2012

Dear Mom,

I suppose it's difficult to accurately depict what the MTC really is.  Or means, for that matter.

I guess in a way, it's the Lord's ultimate "boys to men" exercise.  The whole mission could be described that way.

1 Corinthians 13:11 says, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."     ~my perspective

"And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity."     ~God's perspective

Tonight, I got to see boys rise up and be men.  After a movie, (we watched "The Testaments") we came back to the residences and talked.  Some of the elders in our branch leave early in the morning, ones we have grown close to.  After just a few minutes we decided to sing.  Pretty soon we had everyone from 45C and 45F in one room singing hymns.  We sang "Ye Elders of Israel," "We'll Bring the World His Truth" (we are now the Lord's missionaries), and "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."  As we sang, on pitch, on key, with full harmony (which I didn't even know was possible at the MTC) we felt the power of God.  The spirit was so strong.  Everyone sang from their souls as if they had been awakened.

"Awake my sons!" was the Lord's cry (2 Ne. 2).  We...I could feel it through my own tears as well as through the tears of the other elders.  And we seemed to respond, "Awake my soul!  No longer droop in sin.  Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul...O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust thee forever." (2 Ne. 4)

As strong as the stripling warriors...I wish I had the words to describe it.  We were...ARE alive.  As if we are now His chosen sons.  Men who will carry families across frozen rivers.  Men who will build ships and cross oceans, trusting wholly upon the promise of someone we have never met, but we know.  Men who respond to the call for battle with, "Father, behold our God is with us, and He will not suffer that we should fall." (Alma 56)

For all who are wondering; Landon, Logan G., Logan F., and whoever else may be curious, or questioning, or having difficulty finding the desire, motivation, or faith to change and rise up to the Lord, I give these words:

"You will never, ever regret choosing to give up who you are.  You can never regret this experience...Prepare today to tell stories to your children tomorrow..."

and

"If you ever say, 'This [mission] isn't what it was supposed to be,' I say, 'Welcome to the big time.  Welcome to the church.  Welcome to lives of prophets and Apostles.  In fact, maybe you should talk to Christ, who knows quite a bit about cups that no one wants to drink, and paths no one wants to walk'...Missionary work is not easy because salvation is not cheap.  It was never easy for Jesus Christ." (Elder Holland MTC conference years ago)

Everyone.  Friends.  Boys.  Mom.

This church is true.  I know that because except by the power of God, there is no way that all these 19-year-old kids, including--if not especially--myself, could become men, servants of God, and Warriors of the Army of Helaman in 3 weeks.  It is true because of love.

Brotherhood.  With other men, and with the only brother who will never leave you broken, Jesus Christ.  It is true because I am different.  Because my life is different.

Because I am not last in the fold of my Messiah.

I love you all.  I hope you are all doing well, and I hope you will take a good look at Alma 7 and pray to your father.

I love you.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment