Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hell Shaking and Obsession -- 30 July 2013

Dear Friends and Family,

I could just attach this picture and leave it there:


But I know you want more. A story at least. Well, I've got 2 for you.

This past week or 2 I've been struggling to attach myself to the work. I've felt this way because of how easy it's been. Pretty ironic, eh? The Lord has just blessed us so much and we've barely needed to work to be teaching often. It's completely different than it has ever been before. So, I haven't felt the need to work quite as hard, or be quite as diligent in my studies as I should be. Fortunately, the Lord is great at reminding us when things are going wrong. So, the next morning I read an amazing talk about "Creating Success." Which basically highlighted the principles of choosing your own destiny; how to set goals, what it means to "desire" something, the differences between those who are consecrated and those who are not, etc. After studying this talk for a large portion of my studies, I emerged victorious. Rather, not me, but Christ in me.

M. Russel Ballard describes desire as a "compulsion or obsession." When we are truly successful, we are driven by this desire, which is an "obsession," but not necessarily in an unhealthy way. We become so focused on what we want that we will do everything we can to find success in accomplishing it. We will plan, prepare, execute, and account with a personal emotional connection to each step. In effect we kick it into gear and we blast every ounce of energy we have into driving for the finishline. We will give it everything that we can, because we know we want it.

By the way, Alma teaches us that "[The Lord] granteth unto men according to their adesire"

So, are you hungry for it? Do you desire it? Or are you just going to sit back and watch as the world passes by? "Who will baptize next? Successful missions are for successful missionaries." The only limitations you have are the ones you choose to allow.

So, shortly following this wonderful study, we were called upon to teach our wonderful investigator, Brittany. And as we taught, I was prompted to share my favourite story from The Book of Mormon with her. Which is the story of Moroni, and the title of Liberty. I love that story because of who Moroni proves he is.

I don't know if any of you can imagine my teaching style. But, to give you an idea, I'm very enthusiastic. I'm all about sound effects and telling stories. In short, I am a lot like the seminary teachers I've had back home. A total gong show. As I tell this story, I'm extra excited, because I have such a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and Jesus Christ through it. It makes me feel as Paul does in his description to the Phillipians "13 I can do all things through aChrist which bstrengtheneth me."

So, while we taught Brittany, we read the following scriptures:

11 And Moroni was a astrong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect bunderstanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery;

12 Yea, a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God, for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people; a man who did labor exceedingly for the awelfare and safety of his people.

13 Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had asworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of his blood...

 17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto aMoroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the bdevil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
(italics added)

I love this story because it's a call to "fixed faithfulness"(as Jeffery R. Holland describes). It is a promise that if we would develop these charachter traits, that we will have the power to "shake hell." And we all know that I'm all about that. So, dear friends and wonderful family, if you have made it this far into my email, I'm calling you to battle. I challenge you to shake hell. I Invite you to live in utter defiance of he who would "[make] all men... hmiserable like unto himself." Root out the natural man. "...[become] a isaint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and [become] as a jchild, ksubmissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

I challenge you to stand with God, and to be like another Moroni who said: "and because of their bhatred [The Lamanites] cput to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.

3 And I, Moroni, will not adeny the Christ."

I love you all so much. :D

Rock on. Peace. Love. and Temple Marriage.
In that order.

Love,

Elder Taylor "The Hell Shaker" Hill (self-proclaimed)

No comments:

Post a Comment