Monday, April 7, 2014

Let it begin; Of Courage, Callings, and Covenants and Of Heroes, Helpers, and Holiness -- 7 April 2014

I hope the Spirit will guide me as I email this week.
The past 2 weeks have been an interesting turn in my mission life. It's certainly been an adventure, going from a lot of administrative duty to being actively engaged in an area again without much leadership responsibility at all. I keep finding things that can be done and thinking of ways to do them, then realizing that it's neither in my job or my stewardship, so trying to be productive has been an issue.
And so, what is it I have to say? Well, not a whole lot. All I really want to say is that I know the Gospel is true. It's been a blessing in my life. Which I think is a vague statement. It's been a blessing in many ways. It was a blessing to see pictures of my best friends living the Gospel. It has been a blessing to serve my God. It has been a blessing to feel the Spirit, which really is the "unspeakable gift." A feeling that leaves me feeling stronger, more hopeful, and most importantly---loved.
My challenges have reverted back to the simple ones from the beginning of my mission---opening my mouth being the big one. 6 months really did a doosy on me, but here's where I'm at: "Courage becomes a worthwhile and meaningful virtue when it is regarded not so much as a willingness to die manfully, but as a determination to live decently." (President Monson---I know of 4 talks that he's said that in now.) It's right about time I kicked it into sixth gear. It's about time we all did. Too often we are afraid to do what's right, so afraid that we allow our voices to be stomped into the dirt. As my companion reminds me often---"If Satan can simply bind the tongues of the faithful, he will have won." (Jeffrey R. Holland)

Well, he's not winning on this watch. Not now, not ever. Courage is still necessary, but I have been called of God to do his work and His will, in His way. Not only that, but I have covenanted to do so. I want to be a hero. I want to stand taller and stronger. I sincerely desire to be the helper that Christ can depend on to do his work. I hope to be able to say, like President Monson, "The sweetest experience I know in life is to feel a prompting and act upon it and later find out that it was the fulfillment of someone’s prayer or someone’s need. And I always want the Lord to know that if He needs an errand run, Tom Monson will run that errand for Him."
I hope we all will defy Satan. Don't let him silence you or push you around. Rise up. "Stand higher lift those with feeble knees, hold up the arms of those that hang down. Live the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
That is my commitment to you all this week, and to my Heavenly Father. I will not be silenced.

I love you all.
Believe him. Peace. Love. And Temple Marriage. In that Order.

Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment