Monday, March 31, 2014

What do Weed, Polygamists, and Old People all have in common? -- 31 March 2014

Creston, BC.
Hello my dear and wonderful friends and family! I know you all know that I'm no longer in the mission office. Do you know that I'm all the way in the bottom lefthand corner of the mission? It's unbelievably beautiful out here. It makes me want to wipe the dust off of my camera (sorry mom) and take some photos.
We're here to work. We've already seen a few miracles, the first one just happened on my second day in the area. You see, they just called a new bishop and new ward mission leader. This is good news in just about every case, because it means their hearts are open. The Lord has a way of doing that. So we sat down with them in their first coordination meeting and our WML was suggesting he would really like at least 15 minutes in ward council to discuss the needs of the people we're working with. The bishop, cuts in and responds, "I'll gladly give you 15 minutes, and I anticipate it will take even longer as it get's going, even up to 30 or more, because that's what ward council is really about."
I literally began tearing up. He knows. He gets what it's actually for. The reality of it all was incredible. They asked me if I was okay, and I just nodded my head. Holy cow, the Spirit rushed into the room like a Porche 918 Spyder (saw it on the cover of a magazine today, it looks fast ;)) as we discussed how we were going to proceed with the Ward Mission Plan.
So, our ward mission leader has kept us honest and busy, both with administrative tasks as well as regular teaching and work. Elder K and I have had to practice planning and prioritizing. The good news about all of it is that it just makes you feel so good. I have already begun to feel closer to my Father in Heaven. I've also really struggled adjusting to being a follower, instead of a leader. I wouldn't say it's been hard to swallow that pill, because I'm really grateful for it, but it has certainly been difficult to remember what is and is not my responsibility. The load of regular missionary labors seems very light now compared to what I was doing before, and I'm very grateful for how the Lord is helping me to progress.
Elder K is amazing! He laughs all the time, even at my stupid jokes and just has a great way of helping people just feel like they are loved. He works hard and isn't afraid to do what the Lord wants done. He is teaching me a lot about being a better missionary and consecrating myself to the Lord. I really hope I can keep up.
Well, I've rambled on a lot, but I do have just one more thing (uhoh... here it comes).
Many of you are probably aware of the event in American History known as the "Shot Heard Around the World." I haven't taken a history class in an awfully long time and I don't really have the ability to look it up, but basically (if I remember correctly) there was a little bit of contention going on between the British Soldiers and the American colonists just before the breaking out of the revolutionary war. Tension was high. When, after an encounter with the Soldiers on a night in the street, a shot was fired. That noise was later coined by emerson(?) as the Shot Heard Around the World because it sparked the British Military into action (who at the time were stationed around the world) and was the spark which ignited the gunpowder that was the American revolution.
Well, Elder Hill, what is this about?
This is about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Someone was bearing their testimony in church yesterday and they quoted "The Standard of Truth." and reminded me of this phrase. The appearance of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ to the boy Joseph was a shot that would be heard around the world. As was President Monson's announcement just a year and a half ago (can you believe it's been that long?). There are moments in history that mark the turning point of a nation, a people, or a soul. Those, "Shots" are all brought by our Father in Heaven to make us like our Father in Heaven.
This work---missionary work, the work of salvation, conversion, inviting others to come unto christ---call it what you will, is the shot that we give everyone who will hear. It is being spread throughout the world, and it is meant to change our lives. So, my dear friends. Give it a chance. There is a war raging around us, in us, and by us. We have neighbors, friends, brothers and sisters who need the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and they may never accept it if we don't open our mouths and honestly seek to give them a chance for change. Be the shot. Be that change. After all, "The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done."
I love you all. Don't be afraid.

Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment