Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Because of Him -- 21 April 2014

I don't know how many of you have seen that video... the one that I've attached at the bottom of the screen, but it is about the Savior, and it is amazing.
This week was a test of faith. Our mission released new Standards of Excellence which requires 3 hours of personal finding every day. I know for a lot of you out there, you're like, "Three hours? That's pansy work!" But in this mission, it's a lot. I've filled my time my whole mission doing phone calls, teaching less-actives, working with investigators (usu. from referrals or random miracles), and working with members. Personal finding was always the very last resort. Now, it's the number 1 priority. So, with my usual poorly girded attitude we hit the pavement this week, and on our first house found a new investigator. :) God telling me---"Don't worry, kid. I've got you. I always have, and I always will."
My attitude has rapidly changed. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm stoked about personal finding, but I know that whenever I do it, I will be blessed. More than that, I've learned a lot about who I really am. A little of my old self is creeping out as I begin contacting. I just get this urge to yell across the street and say, "What's up!?" or "Yo! I've got a seriously beautiful slice of awesome running in my hand here, you in?" Somehow, I don't think the old people of Creston could really handle that, but I bet if I was a little more willing to just be my best self, the same guy who could just walk up to anyone in Jamba Juice, Zupas, Cafe Rio, or even across the dance floor and just start talking, would be the guy who would have the most success in picking up investigators.
That said, sometimes when I contact, I feel like I have ulterior motives, like---"The only reason I'm talking with you right now is because I need to share the Gospel with you!" Instead of, "I honestly really love you and have genuine concern and desire for your overall happiness. I know this Gospel is true and I want to share it with you." While both are good desires, I think the latter is the preferred contact, simply because it is out of real love.

So, this is where I need your help---does anyone have suggestions about how I can better incorporate the love I do feel for people into the contacting we do?
I don't really know what else to say this week... other than that I know that God really does intend to change us. Our natures. Our whole selves. Really, when we consider what really is possible because of Him, we must begin to admit that our desires that stem as a result of our Savior's existence is to truly do and be the impossible. For me, I want to be a man---- not just like a big burly dude with chest hair and a beard---but a man. A real man. I don't really know how describe it other than an attitude and an understanding of knighthood. Chivalry. Dignity. Faith. Hope. Courageous. Yet, humble.... and not yielding to temptation or addiction. Bridled, and powerful in His priesthood. Magnifying and Glorifying God, and not himself. Well... that sounds like a big ticket, but if you're wondering what I desire because of Him---it's that. And I'm not afraid to dream big, because I know that my God is quite a bit bigger than all of that. After all, "God is eagerly waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But He can’t if you don’t pray, and He can’t if you don’t dream. In short, He can’t if you don’t believe."
I love you all. Dream big.
Believe Him.
And Rock on.
Peace. Love. Temple Marriage. In that order.
Elder Hill



No comments:

Post a Comment