Monday, January 13, 2014

Just How Blessed I Really Am -- 13 January 2014

You know, in all my entire mission, I have never had less than 10 emails in my inbox on a Monday morning? Never. I'm not saying it to brag, or say that I'm better than anyone else, (in fact, I probably get that much, because I need it so much) I'm just really really grateful to be able to wake up on a Monday morning knowing that I will hear from at least 1 person that I love. :D I'm blessed with good friends, best friends.

Being honest, I only remember 1 time that I've been angry at my mother (p.s. that was a subject change--- my conversation skills have obviously developed greatly since I've been on my mission, eh?). That was just a few months before my mission. You could really hardly call it angry, but it was a definite measure of frustration. Why? Because I felt that my mission needed to be my mission, and nobody elses. I had to be doing this on my shoulders. The weight of my mission had to be on my back, and I didn't want anyone else pushing me to get there. (she wasn't pushing, I'm just a pride-sack [it means what it says--- a sack full of pride]). You know, since I've been on my mission how much I've regretted that moment? The more I teach, testify, and tell--- whether through email, on the street or in someone's home, I've realized more and more that this mission is not my mission. This mission belongs to the Lord. My Savior, Jesus Christ. Want to know something interesting? Everyone of us has taken upon us the name of Jesus Christ. 

I am blessed to be being transformed by the power of the Atonement, and by the true miracle that my mission has been to me, but it hasn't been mine. It hasn't been my power or my miracle. It has been His. I hope that one day, you will all be able to see just how much you've blessed my life. I hope that each of you in your own way will be able to experience the blessings of the Miracle of this Mission. 

Story time: This week was Mission Leadership Council. That is where the zone leaders, the Sister Training Leaders, the Mission President, and yes, us, get together and discuss the needs of the mission. We've done our best to make it a council. Meaning, we hope that everyone comes in to the meeting determined to council on what we need, instead of just planning events, giving reports, and not changing anything. #badwardcouncilmeetings We really got into it this time because something here needs to change. It's about time our mission went from being "just a place and a thing I'm doing for 2 years" to "where I serve my God." 

So, we discussed the culture of the mission and how we wanted things to change. We talked about setting a mission vision. Well, someone commented that, "This mission already has a vision statement." I was leading the discussion at the time and blasphemy leapt out of my mouth before I ever had time to hope to stop it.... "To be honest, I've never read the Mission Vision Statement."

The room went very quiet.

President N inquired, "Never?"

Well, I had to be honest.

"Never." I said.

I've had it on every wall in every apartment that I've been in for the past 17 months. It's in my planner and my scriptures and I've never ever read it. 

Well, that's a very dumb thing.

After that we obviously discussed actually applying the vision of our mission and of who we want to become into our lives, but it was emphasized that we wouldn't be able to do it if we don't read it. 

I'm quickly repenting. 

But you know what that made me think of? My scriptures. How can we ever know what we have hope to become, unless we dig in and find out? God has created a vision statement for us, and it can't be understood in 1 read or 1 glance over. It takes a lifetime of study and searching before we can ever possibly hope to understand the truth of who we really are as children of God. We are blessed to have a God who has given us a vision of who we are truly capable of becoming, and how to get there.

I love you all. I love this Gospel. I know that it is His Gospel and that it is only contained in its fullness in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 

I hope you all will seek His vision for you.

Rock on. Peace. Love. And Temple Marriage.
In that order.


Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment