Monday, April 1, 2013

Unlisted Commandments: Calming the Storm -- 1 April 2013

This is part of what I learned this week, and part of who I am trying to be.

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. … Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).
I submit to you, that may be one of the Savior’s commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord’s merciful heart. I can tell you this as a parent: as concerned as I would be if somewhere in their lives one of my children were seriously troubled or unhappy or disobedient, nevertheless I would be infinitely more devastated if I felt that at such a time that child could not trust me to help or thought his or her interest was unimportant to me or unsafe in my care. In that same spirit, I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments."
 37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. 38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? 39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, aPeace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great bcalm. 40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so afearful? how is it that ye have no bfaith?

Well, a good deal of what I learned this week has to do with the Atonement of Jesus Christ (being Easter).

Often, I feel that we (I definitely do, at least), as Elder Holland says, "disobey" the commandment of God to be "at peace." The Savior, was a perfect example of peace. He was asleep in a storm and calm against all adversity and against all odds. He never fought back, but bore his afflictions with patience and humility.

I have learned this week, that this peace comes through exercising our Faith (see above scripture) in the Lord Jesus Christ. Faith means to trust in the promises of God. It means to hope that great good will come to pass. It means to believe that, through Christ, we can do all things.


 I'm not sure that I fully understand what I am trying to say, but what I know is that our Father in Heaven has commanded us to be at peace, and if we are faithfully striving to follow his commandments, then we will be blessed with this peace. We can handle difficulty, fear, insecurity. We will be made alive in Christ. We will be able to meet trials head on, and we will become a light in the lives of others.

Anyway, I loveyou all a lot, and I hope you learned something, because I feel that I have.

:D

Rock on. Obedience, PEACE, love, and temple marriage. In that order.

Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment