Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Commission, My Position, and My Salvation (confidence in Christ) -- 17 June 2014

Dear Everyone that I love,

I have a few different thoughts today. Many of which come from my heart and not from any little known facts about mortality or scriptural knowledge, but first I have something to say about missionary work.
If God has asked or called you to do something, He gives you the power to do it. But it takes commitment. That is why success as a missionary is defined in Preach My Gospel as commitment. Which is why missionaries in Russia that never even get to teach a single lesson 1 on their missions still come home stronger than they've ever been before. They come home sanctified, and converted unto the Lord---because they did what they were called to do. That said; is it no small coincidence that the Lord said in D&C 18: 10, 14-16

10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;

14 Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people.

15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!

For some missionaries that "one soul" is the only one they can really control.

I'm not going to stop there, though. Because I don't believe that God would drag me all the way to Canada to serve a mission, do His work, and give everything that I have and not have the joy of seeing others come into the Gospel. Doctrine and Covenants section 43 verses 15-16 say:

15 Again I say, hearken ye elders of my church, whom I have appointed: Ye are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put into your hands by the power of my Spirit;

16 And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken.

In other words, we are not here to be the ones who are taught and converted, though that will happen because we are taught from on high---we are here to teach. Thus the field is white already to harvest. Harvest. Surely the Lord is preparing the people of this world to receive the Gospel. The whole world. In every mission. Everywhere. In fact, He won't even come until the Gospel has been preached to every nation kindred tongue and people.

Are you saying, Elder Hill, that everyone is called to baptize?

Yes, yes I am.

Well, how, Elder Hill, How? 

Short answer: Get out of the way. Be the pure fibre optic cable through which God can shine his light into the hearts of those you will come into contact with. Don't be the messenger who looks through the cable themselves and tries to describe what is on the other side---that's not enough. Be the cable. Get out of the way. Thus, "...Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power [to do my work], that ye may give even as I have spoken.

That's my rant. I love this Gospel, and I love every missionary in the world, especially all of you, and I want you to know that the power is in you to do all things which the Lord hath commanded you. You were born to lead. You were born for Glory. You are His children, and therefore His heirs. You have the right to fulfill your purpose as you are faithful. You are more powerful than you dare yet believe---please don't sell yourselves short of that endowment of power that I know  you have been given. 

*sigh* :) I love you so much. :D Soooo much. You have no idea how much I love you.

Other than that, last night I got a phone call from my mission president. This close to transfers, that's not abnormal.

"Elder Hill, what do you want to do for your last 6 weeks?"

"Whatever the Lord wants me to do, President."

"Well, tomorrow you'll be getting a notice for transfer. I'm going to assign you to be a district leader, can you do that?"

":) Yes, I think I can handle that."

"Good, I think so, too."

So, that's what's happening this transfer. So, I got an email this morning telling me I'm going to Calgary somewhere. Pack the bags. :) Rock on.

Finally, the last business... I was on the phone earlier this week with President N, because I was looking for some guidance.... You see, I've done some bad things in my life...I'm guilty of being loaded with mistakes and sins. I'm not dumb enough to believe that mine are worse than yours or that yours are worse than mine, but I've recently been so bothered by my past that I've felt that I'm just not worthy of any good thing that God will give me. You can imagine how this could hold me back in my progress.

President shared something with me in that conversation that I would like to share with all of you.
Sometimes we do something terrible and we don't feel forgiveness in the way we want it, but if we have done all we ought to do, our next step is to trust Him. Wholeheartedly. Completely. Without reservation. Remember the story of King Lamoni's father? He was going to kill Ammon, and then Ammon held him at sword point and the king began to cry, and fear. He then offered Ammon half of his kingdom if he would spare his life. Later Aaron taught him. And after learning of God he said, "O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day"He went from being willing to only give half of all he possessed for his life, to being willing to give away all of his sins. That's a complete change in who he is, how he thinks, and what he desires.

So, that was the message. If we really have faith in God, we will give Him everything. Including all our doubts about His gospel, His existence, or even our standing before Him. If we have faith in Him, then we would "Doubt our doubts [about where we stand with Him,] before we doubt our faith [that He will save us]."

You know and I know that I'm so much less than perfect. The good news of the gospel covenant is not that Christ will save the perfect people, but that He will---does---has---can save the imperfect ones. If you are willing to do all that He asks, then He will do his part.

So, that's my testimony. I'm on the Gospel train with both hands. I'm trusting Him all the way. I believe that as I do so that God will ensure my return into His presence as an exalted being with the ones that I love by my side. I believe that He will save us. I believe Him. I am choosing to believe that He will accept me---including the dark lines in my personal marble egg that really, truly, do make us all beautiful.

I love you all ssoooooo much. Please, accept these truths, and live them.

Then, Rock on. Peace. Love. And Temple Marriage.

In that order.


:) Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment