Tuesday, May 27, 2014

No Excerpts This Time -- 26 May 2014

Yesterday I was sitting in Sacrament meeting watching a few families take care of their kids. As I watched little kids take the sacrament, I wondered, "Why do they even need it? They aren't accountable..." Then I thought, "They've got to learn it somehow..."
If you know me much, you know that I probably spend a bit too much time in la-la land, but as I watched these families I began to think of what I wanted to do to someday teach my kids what the sacrament means. Now, I don't know a ton about little dudes, especially the really really really little ones (I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I've held babies... maybe it only actually takes a finger or two) but I think learning begins at the beginning (go figure). So, there I sat in la-la land imagining myself holding my first little dude. Imagining breaking off one tiny piece of bread, just little little little, and putting it in his (or her) mouth, whispering, "This is His body."       Somehow in that experience I had the strangest feeling that even though that future little dude would only be a few months old, he (or she) would understand exactly who I was talking about.
I snapped back to reality as the water began to be blessed, and I sat in simple awe as I contemplated the greatness of God, and my gratitude for what He has done for me. The water came to me only a few moments later and as I drank, I felt the Spirit whisper quietly, "This is His blood." And there I sat. His little one. His tiny tiny tiny little dude, learning the same lesson I was hoping to teach my child someday.
Oh, the blessings that have come into my life because the Savior allows and enables me to repent!
Repentance is simply confessing our sins (to God and to priesthood authority if needed) and promising to forsake them. When we do these things, we are filled with a desire to make them right. Let me tell you, the feeling of purity that comes from partaking of the sacrament worthily, having repented of everything I have ever done... it's addicting. It's incredible. It's powerful. It's one reason that I don't ever want to miss the sacrament.
"But Elder Hill, I can't remember everything bad I've ever done. How could I?"
My friend, if you honestly desire to repent, I invite you to put it to the test. Kneel down and ask the cover all----"Wilt thou please forgive me for everything I can't remember that I have done wrong?" and then, "Father, if there is anything that I have done wrong that needs to be repented of individually, wilt thou please bring it to my memory, so that I can make it right?" You will have things come to your mind, and as they do, you will need the courage to admit, "What I did was wrong." the courage to say, "I will fix this problem with the person I have wronged." actually intending to do it, and then have the courage to kneel back down once that is done and say, "I've done all I can, will you forgive me?" Don't be afraid to do this again and again.
If you do I promise in the name of Jesus Christ, as one of His representatives, that a new light will come into your life. Those you may have wronged along the way of your life will grow to love and respect you. You will feel closer to your Savior as you act upon those promptings. You will be more receptive to the feelings and impressions of the Holy Ghost. You will be a better missionary, a better friend, a better spouse, and a happier person in general. And if this process continues in your life, you will never again desire to miss Sacrament meeting.
After all, cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Thank you all for your love and support, I hope this helps.
Rock on. Peace, love, and temple marriage. In that order.

Elder Hill


p.s please don't think I'm mister perfect at this either, past emails are the evidence that that isn't true. Honestly even focusing in sacrament meeting is still a struggle for me, but if He can do it for me then He can do it for anyone in the world. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment