Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Always Growing -- 20 May 2014

Another Mission President Letter excerpt:

My family is doing well, I think. Life is moving forward at its own rate, but I'm doing the best I can to enjoy it here as long as I can. I continue to receive a lot of help and support from my family and my friends. I'm really glad I've been able to email my friends throughout my mission. Their emails, ideas, thoughts, and inspiration have really kept me afloat at times. There's definitely power in good friends.

I remember my first day in the mission, as I'm sure you do. We had had almost no sleep the night before, we missed our flights, we didn't end up at the mission home until almost 6 o'clock. We ate and ran to the church for our notice of first transfer meeting. I was barely awake, not really absorbing anything that was going on. Confused, grumpy, and still just hungry to have a good experience with the day. I knew then as well if not better than I know now that our success and reception to the Spirit are entire based on whether or not we would let it in. I remember being asked to bear my testimony---I didn't have much to say. Not because I didn't have a testimony---because I did, no doubt. But, maybe because at some point during that meeting I stopped worrying about what I thought, did, and desired... I only wanted to do and be what He wanted me to do and be. So, when I bore my testimony I'm sure it was only as simple as a sentence or two.

It wasn't the beginning. I think it started two weeks before I was set apart, testifying in front of the high council of what I knew and believed. Again, very simple... it was all I knew. Amazingly, all I knew then, is the same as all I know now. I know that God exists and that He loves us enough to give us first second and third and fourth chances through His son Jesus Christ. I am a product of second chances and the faith of a God in me.

Well, Hi everyone! I've really been searching and striving to do and be the best I can. On Saturday we only had one appointment (a dinner appointment) so guess what we did all day? What is Tracting and Street Contacting for 400? Ole. Interesting experience. As we were turning to return to our car (about a 45 minute walk away) we felt prompted to turn around. So... we did, we thought, "Maybe we were supposed to knock on this door, or that door.... or maybe there was someone else we missed?" So, we tried to listen to the spirit and be where we needed to be. Well, we ended up walking around the back side of the block back onto the main road probably only 300 feet from where we had stood 5 minutes earlier. We concluded that we just needed to go back toward our car, so, we again began to walk in that direction. Hold on I'll insert a visual aid.

​So, as we were on our way back to the car for the second time we were about to walk past this flea market, when we saw a few eccentric looking people. Me, being me, and liking anything that's even a little out of the ordinary, spoke up and complimented the animals on their heads and other feathered clothing with which they were adorned (I don't think there was any better way to say that). They (3) all smiled and accepted my compliment graciously. So, naturally, we brought up the gospel. They asked us why we did what we did. I told them a bit about how I gained my testimony and why I chose to serve a mission. The Spirit came and we were able to invite them to learn more (after we basically taught them the entire first lesson). We also offered a book of mormon.
Was good. They didn't accept, but you know what? The Spirit brought us there for a reason. I think that the Spirit prompted us to head toward our car again so that we would walk that way, and so we would talk with those people. I have no idea what kind of seeds we planted, but I know they were good. Miracles often feel small, but can have great impact on those we serve.
The Spirit prompts us and teaches us all in different ways, but I think the most common ways for me are just through my every day thoughts. He will often guide me using changing destinations, knowing that I will think "That's a great idea! Aren't I so smart?" Then on the way there, I'll have a prompting to stop and knock on this door, or talk with this person, or stop by this former investigator. And we will always end up where we need to be as we do so. kinda like....this.
Anyway, my testimony may be simple, but it is sure. I know God lives. I know he has given his son Jesus Christ for us. I believe in Him trust in Him. This is His work.
Love you!
Peace, love, and temple marriage. In that order.

Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment