Monday, February 3, 2014

Going Ham -- 3 February 2014


Alright (you know when I start an email that way, that I'm about to go, so, put your seat belts on, and get ready for 6th gear).

 

This weekend we were in a Mission Leadership Council, and the council question proposed was, "What will it take for us to make it to 80 baptisms per transfer in this mission?" (I know some of you in other missions are like, "80 baptisms? We do that in a week!" Well, we don't but we can. And that is precisely the point I'm going to make.) Well, let me lead you through what happened.

 

The question was posed.

 

Someone responded, "That seems a little unrealistic." Then the council followed.

 

*sigh* At what point do we stop worrying about what is a little unrealistic and start believing in what God has promised us? When do we believe that he has said, "I will fight your battles for you"? and that he will actually do it. There's a wonderful series of talks that I've listened to, and a book I've read (I repented, relax) that talk about the difference between believing in Christ, and Believing Him. 

 

Look, I understand that we don't all have the faith of Jared, or the Courage of Ammon. I understand that we are all insignificant in our own way, but when it comes to doing the Lord's will, we are entitled to His help. Do we believe that? Do we trust him? Do we really get it? Will we receive something from him, and give it all to him?

 

There's a story (I'm plagiarizing right here) from the bible where the Children of Israel had just arrived at the promised land---the first time. Moses sent in 12 spies to find out what was going on in there. 10 of them came back and reported on the goodness of the land and its prosperity, but they then said, "And there we saw giants, and were in our own sight as grasshoppers." 

 

Is that how we see ourselves? As you can tell, I'm going ham right now, but for heaven's sake, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!? Do you get it? Really? Do you see yourself as a grasshopper? Or as someone called of God to do a marvelous work and a wonder? This message is not just for the missionaries here. 

 

My dear friends... I don't know what giants you all face in your life, maybe it's 80 baptisms, or 1. It could be friends, or family, or fear. Maybe it's school, marriage, or music, but whatever giants stand in your path I promise you that you can believe Christ. He is our Saviour and Redeemer. With His strength, you are strong enough. You are a son or daughter of a Father in Heaven who has delegated to you His power, and there is nothing that is too strong for you---not with Him. 

 

You can believe Him. You can be the difference in someone's life. You can be that missionary that baptizes thousands. You can be the difference in the life of a struggling friend. You can do whatever it is God wants of you.

 

I love you all. Sorry for the rant, but someone's got to say it, or nobody would ever get there.

 

Believe Him. Rock on. Peace. Love. And Temple Marriage. In that order.

 

Elder Taylor J. Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment