Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Week one... transfer two... year one... mission one ; | -- 9 October 2012

Well,
Tuesday is our p day this week. Elder Church and I picked up three new investigators this week bringing the total to (drumroll, please): 15 investigators. 9 progressing. Wow.

Danielle and Ryelan are a single mom and her son who are both very VERY familiar with Jesus Christ and the teachings of the Bible. She is looking for a church that encourages having a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ and not just accepting His grace (her words). She would also like to be a part of a church "family" where everyone takes care of each other. Is any of this sounding familiar? It should. We covenant to do both of those things when we are baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am very hopeful for both of them. Ryelan has an autism, but he is very VERY high functioning. There's no way I would have guessed. He's a good boy who loves his momma very very much, therefore, he and I relate well :)

The other new guy is a gentleman by the name of Jay Applegarth. Jay is native (Cree by tribe) and is very adamant in fulfilling tradition. We gave him the first lesson just two nights ago and while we were over he had a friend over who was playing the drums with him and singing native music. I'm not a hundred percent sure if we were allowed to do this or not, but it felt like the right thing to do, so we joined in. Very VERY VERY cool experience. So, we later found out that he has been taught by the missionaries before and he was strong in the traditions of his fathers (see Alma 18). We discussed the differences between what his culture believed and taught versus what the church teaches, and he concluded that they are very close. How could this be? Well, could it be possible that his people are decendants of a certain tribe coming out of Israel? It would seem so (see Enos). So, we asked him to pray after establishing expectations and setting up a date to come back and he prayed that he would be able to know when it was right to be baptized and that he would be able to recognize the path through Jesus Christ that would bring him the most happiness. Wow. I sincerely hope that we will be able to resolve his concerns and lead him into the fold of God. Goodness, I've been blessed.

We're not sure if we'll have a baptism this week, because Kylan needs to attend church one more time before he qualifies. So, it may be pushed to next week if they didn't watch general conference. Dang it, Satan! Hate that guy. They were in BC over the long weekend and we couldn't call and remind them, so we won't know until they get back if we need to plan for a baptism or not.

Temperatures have dropped in Canada to below freezing at night and the days are loaded with temperatures of a stunning 8 degrees celcius (I'm told it's like... 50 farenheight....). As you well know, I don't get cold very easily, but I've been wearing my suit jacket during the day because of requirements, but have also been wearing a nice, thick, two-layered coat (thank you mom and dad) when the sun goes down (which has been happening at, like, six). It's been an adventure, no Canadian snow yet [DANG IT], but I'm stoked for when it does happen. I love the snow. Everyone up here is dreading the winter, and everyone asks me if I am, too. When they find out I'm not it's often associated with a comment along the lines of, "You haven't been here long, have you?" The question is rhetorical. I'm just thinking they know something that I don't. Often, people get a look in their eye and say creepy Canadian-Maine stuff, like, "Going way up there, eh?" and I think, "Yeah. Why? What are you not telling me?!" Terrifying, I'm telling you.

Oh! Canadians are afraid of the dark. True story. Nobody is outside after it gets dark. Nobody. Seriously. 

Anyway, our zone was split in half and Elder Tulane (one of our zone leaders) is suffering. There isn't a single person left in our zone that enjoys playing basketball. :D Good news. Volleyball and dodgeball are on their way. :D

I've been working on getting JACKED (must be said with such emphasis or it doesn't sound like you're doing anything at all). Jump rope (500 times a morning... at least, unless I decide to go for a set amount of time instead, in which case it can get above a thousand.... at which point I just stop counting) Usually around 50 pushups, 30 pull-ups (I inherited a free pull-up bar!!!!) 30 25lb curls, and planks like crazy. I hate planking. I also hate pull-ups. Depressing times of the morning. But, if I want a good core and a good back, I need them.

I've lost weight, thank goodness, and have been eating 6 small (fist sized) meals a day instead of 3 large-ish meals. Lots of vegetables and protein. When I do eat carbs, it's usually something that a member is feeding me, or a piece of bread with peanut butter on it.

Last thought (getting past the boring regular things): WASN'T CONFERENCE AMAZING!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? (I'm not sure I put enough there..... one more time....)?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?? (better, I think)

So, the missionaries were the only ones in the stake center when they announced that they were allowing 18 year old graduated men to go out and 19 year old women.  We LITERALLY stood up and cheered. There were tears shed and it was a beautiful moment. Why? Because God knows who we are. He knows how to succor his people. We, as missionaries, understand that the year between high school and a mission is the hardest year of our lives (I'm not the only one that feels that way) and having men come out sooner, whill (doing WHat WHat WHay? I WHill!) enable so many more young men and women to come out. "The work will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent..." Heavens to loving betsy. The gospel is true. It is so comforting to know that the Lord knows me and all of His children so personally.

Conference highlights? The obvious announcement behind missionary work. Then the other obvious---Elder Holland, duh. Amazing. I love him. Goodness his talk was SOOOOOO good. It made me ask myself, "How much do I love God?" My personal committment to serve was strengthened. I loved the themes of missionary work, and becoming who you are destined to become, choosing to be happy, and helping your children live up to the potential they have been given. Priesthood was amazing. There's just so much I could say.... But instead I'll ask a question: How did any of the talks from General Conference strengthen your testimony and help you become more converted to the Gospel? Also, what are you going to CHANGE in your life in order to bring yourself into closer harmony with those teachings?

One more word about General Conference: WHITCHICKABAM.

I love you all so much. Thank you for your prayers and your love. Have a wonderful week and an amazing upcoming Thanksgiving (I say that because it was Canadian Thanksgiving up here... lame holiday. People LITERALLY have no idea what they're celebrating.).

No comments:

Post a Comment