Monday, October 22, 2012

I Really Ought to Start Considering What I Will Say Before I Sit Down -- 22 October 2012

Hello all,

Well... I'll start with something hilarious that happened. As you know by now.... hopefully... the Spanish missionaries live in the same apartment building as we do. This has made for some good times and a few great moments. One of these great moments occurred at the beginning of the week when Elder Holderness (Spanish missionary) snuck up to passenger window where Elder Church was seated. We had been recording clicks (kilometers), and Elder Church didn't notice the Elder right next to his window, giving him a terrifying look. Laying hold upon my opportunity to get a good laugh out of it, I twisted my face and pointed out the window. Elder Church looked up, looked at my face, my finger, and then out the window. With a girlish scream he jumped, hit his head on the roof of the car, and punched the glass in an effort to slam his would-be-attacker.

Elder Holderness and I just about died of laughter.

Later in the week, we stopped at the church to make copies, but first we used the washroom. As Elder Church went to exit, there was Elder Holderness, and with another girlish scream he jumped, and swung... CRACK. He popped Elder Holderness right on the kisser with all of his might. Elder Holdernesses lip was instantly swollen and bleeding. Hilarious! I can just picture my mother saying, "It serves him right!"

Anyway, following the Fiasco of the Fat Lip, we had interviews with our mission president, President Nicholas. He's an amazing man. Before we went in, he had us fill out a survey which was meant to help us check our own progress.... I filled it out as honestly as I could (and in true Taylor fashion was maybe a little too hard on myself). We went over my numbers and, President Nicholas, having the gift of discernment, decided quickly that I was too hard on myself..... I was a little frustrated, but he gave me some advice that has really helped.  I get a little teased because of my "greenie-fire" and desire to give nothing but my best. I don't really see a problem with it. I guess everone is just concerned that those who push themselves too hard and expect a lot out of themselves, are often disappointed. No worries, I expect some hard times, but I also expect to be better than average. I don't want to settle for any less than my best, because I really REALLY love what I am doing and would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't. So, there will be some change in my attitude and certainly in my numbers, but I won't stop working hard and pushing myself.

We had a very nice  lesson with Mike and Mary the other day. It wasn't a "thrown down" in classic "Taylor" fashion, but spiritually, we needed to make sure the spirit testified to them more strongly than it ever had before, because we needed them to start progressing, or we needed to drop them (I really loathe the idea of dropping them.... Mike is sooooooo ready. We just need to get Mary on board.....). So, we prepared a lesson with a single purpose: to testify to them without any room for doubt or defiance that The Book of Mormon was the word of God. So, how was this accomplished? Elder Holland, of course. When in doubt, call the general authorities. Check this oot: http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/mormon-messages?lang=eng&id=2010-03-08-testimony-of-the-book-of-mormon#2010-03-08-testimony-of-the-book-of-mormon
Then, we turn to the Book. Alma 32. Boom.
Then, we testify.

And, it completely changed their perspecitve. As a result, they told us they want to be baptized. We told them to pray about a date and gave them specific reading assignments. (Alma 32 and Moroni 7... we might call and also give them 2 Nephi 31 [by the by, you should familiarize yourself with each of those chapters]). I hope that as our coming appointments appraoch that they will have submitted themselves to the will of God. They need it more than they know.... Whew..... Good stuff.

I love you all very much. Alma 32:26 Now, as I said concerning faith—that it was not a perfect knowledge—even so it is with my words. Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.


Okay: Faith is not a perfect knowledge, because without faith, our belief is almost purposeless. As we continue to study Alma 32 it explains that as you exercise faith in one thing....: 34 And now, behold, is your aknowledge bperfect? Yea, your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your cfaith is dormant; and this because you know, for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your dmind doth begin to expand.

Obtaining a KNOWLEDGE of specific aspects of the Gospel is ESSENTIAL. We must always be working to exercise our faith in the Lord so that we can come to a knowledge of His existence, so that we can reach the point when our faith is strong enough to withstand the "scorching of the sun." But we must never forget that faith is an ACTION, "faith, if it is without works, is dead." What is the point of having faith if we don't use it? "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye bhope for things which are cnot seen, which are true."  "Now afaith is the bsubstance of things choped for, the devidence of things not seen." Faith is the guiding light that leads you to hope in all good things, which drives you into meekness and into humility (check out the first definition to "meek" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, it's sweet), it also moves you to charity, which is the pure love of Christ, by which all things are possible.

Breathe, Elder Hill, breathe.... I just get so excited.

The point: ACT on your faith. Believe in God, believe that He is.... and do something about it. Show Him your faith,and I promise and testify that He will show you HIs love. For a missionary, faith is often believing that something good will come of a day of tracting, or that the Lord will touch an investigator, or that the bishop will actually TRY to help you, or simply that the Lord will overcome your weaknesses in order to bring to pass his righteous purposes. For regular Joes: Faith is having the guts to stand up for your religion, believing enough to read your scriptures before you go to bed, to put aside some time to prepare a talk or do some service, or simply to pray every morning and night.

I love you :D I know that the Lord is watching out for you. You are in my prayers :D Have a sweet week.

No comments:

Post a Comment